Tuesday, March 4, 2014

arequipa

Untitled

This past Christmas we traveled to Arequipa, Peru with my parents. We were so thankful to be able to explore this beautiful city. We spent two days in the actual city of Arequipa and also two days traveling to and seeing Colca Canyon (one of the deepest canyons in the world). I have a ton of pictures from our trip, so I'll start with pictures from our time in the city. 

We spent most of our time walking around seeing all the sights. My favorite part of the city was actually seeing the markets (which I don't have any pictures of). It was nuts and we learned a ton about beliefs and rituals in Peru. Each booth in the market had a dead llama fetus hanging from it and we saw a lot of people buying fetuses to take home as offerings to mother earth. We also saw a lot of guinea pigs, rabbits, turkeys, and other animals pre-slaughter. 

The other impressive sight was the Santa Catalina Monastery. It was built over 400 years ago and is huge and beautiful. It's always inspiring to see how simple life can be. I wish I had more pictures of it's beauty.

UntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitledUntitled

Other Arequipa posts:
Colca Canyon Hike
Colca Canyon, The Easy Way

No comments: