Tuesday, February 25, 2014

a life in peru by riley

{I asked Riley to write about what our three years in Peru have been like for her, so here she is. You can read her blog post from the end of our first year in Peru here.}

IMG_2670


A life in Peru can mean many things. Like being called gringo when you go to the grocery store. Or people wanting to take a picture with you when you go to a restaurant. But for me it's like, learning to lean on God more, or take trust in Him.

These past years have been hard. Learning that I'm never going to actually fit in, but that's not because I'm in Peru and I look different. But that's because it's how life is. It happens to everyone. And I've been taking it out on Peru. Well, that's a mistake, lots of this would have happened if I lived in the USA. I've just recently learned that.

Now, don't get me wrong. I have a good life, God has provided that for me. I've just had to learn to let go of some things and learn to live with other things. Like letting go of my best friends, but making friends with a Colombian, named Laura, who has gone through the same things as me. I've been praying for a Christian friend, one that leans on God too. I still haven't found one, but Laura and I have a similar life, living as outsiders here in Peru, so we're good friends.

My favorite Bible verse is Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." I love this verse because it tells us we can do anything, anything at all, but not by ourselves, but with the help of Jesus. And it's true. I could never have come to Peru, learned Spanish, or gone to a Spanish school. Or ever had such a life in Peru, without the help of Jesus.

No comments: