Friday, January 20, 2012

one year

One year ago today we arrived in Peru to start our new life.  My 2011 post was a good recap of our first year here.  And I think I've shared ad nauseam about how life changing this year has been, so I don't think there's much more for me to say about that without making you all want to poke your eyeballs out.

I'm also just having a hard time finding any words for this blog right now.  A somewhat ridiculous example of where I am right now: yesterday after spending the morning with stir-crazy kids, trying to do "school" with them, going to two hours of Spanish class for myself, and haggling with a taxi driver to simply get a decent fare, I found tears welling up in my eyes once I got in the cab.  I was crying because I was just plain worn out and also out of relief that my day was almost over.  Before we moved to Peru, I thought of myself as a strong person.  And now I find myself driven to tears after the most simple things.  It's humbling.  

One year is a long time, but we still have a long ways to go in terms of feeling settled.  But I am thankful to be here and for how far our family has already come.  I'm hopeful that this next year will bring even more growth and peace for our family.  

My friend, Jessica, asked for me to share some prayer requests, so now seems like a good time to do that. 

Things we would love prayer for:

-The ladies of Krochet Kids Peru.  Each lady has her own personal struggles and hardships.  My heart aches for these ladies and the fact that making a better life for themselves and their kids will not be an easy road.  The effects of poverty on all parts of a person are crippling.  Some of these ladies are ready to give up and we are trying so hard to help them, but they have to want to help themselves.  Some of our ladies are facing external circumstances that have kept them from continuing to work for Krochet Kids at this time.  This is hard stuff.

-Interviews.  We are starting interviews next week to hire at least 10 new ladies.  We hate "picking" who gets a job with Krochet Kids.  Everyone we interview needs the job.  Prayer for our decisions during this time would mean a lot.

-Blake is super busy with work.  Running a NGO virtually alone in a foreign country can make you crazy.  He has been very stressed recently (which is unusual for Blake), so I know he would love prayer for peace, patience, and energy.

-Ford is having a very hard time learning Spanish.  I know this seems small, but it has a huge effect on us.  It causes so much frustration and disappointment in all of us.  Of course, we only praise Ford and how hard he has worked (because that is what matters), but deep in my soul, I am discouraged.  Ford has put so much time into trying and I wish he could see some results.  With school starting in March and the need for him to know Spanish on a third grade level, our stress levels are very high.  

-Riley developing a deep friendship.  If Riley could find just one good friend I think that would make all the difference for her here.  We are thankful that she has a variety of different girlfriends at school, but I want her to have that "best friend" that sticks by you and that you are always having sleepovers with.  It is at the very core of who she is to be a friend and to have a friend.  It's hard to see that piece of her missing.  

-I think I've covered a lot of what I need prayer for since I'm always talking too much on here.  I really want this year to be about surrender for me.  I need to quit trying to fight all these battles on my own.  So I ask for prayer to give it all over to God.  

-And to be completely vulnerable, I do think that I need professional and medicinal help to deal with my anxiety and depression at this point.  Trying to figure out how to get that help in a foreign country is too overwhelming for me.  I have a few leads on people I can contact for help, but I haven't done anything about it yet.  Prayer to find a professional that I feel comfortable talking to and also one that can help me find the right medicine would be huge.

-Wisdom.  It seems like every decision here carries a heavy weight.  It's a huge burden and can cause lots of anxiety and worry.  So we always seem to need wisdom to make the best decisions for our family and also to have peace about those decisions.

-Protection for our family.  I don't say this in a snotty way, but I do think that by taking this leap of faith, that we have opened ourselves up to more attacks.  This scares me to be honest.  We've seen glimpses of it this past year.  I have no doubt that a lot of crap will be thrown our way in the coming years, so I would love prayers of protection around our marriage, our family, and our health.

And I think that's more than enough, so I'll stop!  Thank you so much to everyone praying for our family.  It is incredibly encouraging.

IMG_1378
{I don't have any pictures for this post, so I thought I'd share this one of my favorite three year old.}

No comments: