Friday, November 11, 2011

others' words

This past week I've come across quite a few blog posts that have really expressed beautifully what I cannot right now.  Our life in Peru has come at a much higher cost than we ever imagined, yet there is no where else we would rather be.  These blog posts reflect all of the emotions this life elicits in us.  These are posts that I have bookmarked and already gone back and read and cried over many, many times.

"Square Peg, Round Hole" by Scott Salvant (missionary in Haiti)

When you are a square peg getting smashed into whatever round hole is before you, eventually, something has to be sheared off to fit.  For me, I pray that it will be pride, stubborness, indolence, selfishness, and the like.  Let that American mindset be torn away and only what is Christ-like remain.  But what can very often happen is that what gets shaved off is patience, joy, kindness, gentleness, empathy and so on; because deep down we (falsely) believe that we don't deserve to have trials, or suffering, or hardships.  As a Christian, if you believe this, then you haven't read any whole book of the Bible, you have only read the verses that are printed on tee shirts and bookmarks and coffee cups.  


"On Go Home Days" by Laura Parker (missionary in Thailand)

There are days when I can taste the loss of the chapter we chose to close– the mom-friends who brought me Starbucks on random Tuesday mornings, the family around the table, the social calendar of kids who had friends and activities and playdates to keep. I miss that– much more than I ever thought I would. Because there are days when the purpose or effectiveness of what we are doing here seems a feather on the scale of what we gave up to come in the first place.
And it’s the days of the weighing that often become the Go Home ones.


"The Cost" by Tara Livesay (missionary in Haiti) 

I'd like to become a person that accepts the hard parts every bit as graciously as I accept the easy and fun parts. I'd like to whine less when things are hard. I'd like to lament less about the things that have changed. I'd like to say without reservation "I trust Jesus with everything I have and everything I am and at all costs I choose to walk with Him." And then, after that, I'd like it to be true.


"Because God Really Knows How to Meet Needs" by Ann Voskamp (visiting Ecuador with Compassion International)

Because when you hear a call, it needs an answer, deep unto deep, and lives that yield are always the one that say yes.  Even if you don’t understand.

Jesus’ life, it was a cruciform life, a cross-shaped life, from beginning to end, and those who claim Christ aren’t only saved by a crucified Savior – their lives are shaped by the crucified Savior.
The cross isn’t some cheap wooden imitation of our faith — but the exact way the faithful embody the life of Christ.
Because the cross is the key to life — and it’s resurrected in the midst of the poor and the oppressed and the suffering. And when we don’t see the suffering, when we don’t stand in solidarity with the suffering, when we don’t surround our lives with the suffering – we never form our life like our Savior’s.
A Word-shaped life is not a wealth-shaped life but a cross-shaped life.


And it’s when we aren’t in right relationship with God, when someone or something in our life plays God, we work poor. The power hungry who play God in developing nations make very real people and whole countries poor and when I’m hungry for possessions, playing God, I make very real mothers poor.
And when we are all in right relationship with God and man, resources right themselves.

No comments: