Tuesday, November 29, 2011

the kkp ladies :: jhazmin & carmen

Jhazmin

jhazmin
Jhazmin is a sweet, sweet young mom.  She is 22 years old with a 5 year old daughter, Valaxa, and 10 month old son, Carlos.  Jhazmin, her boyfriend, and their kids share a room in her mom's house.  She was born in downtown Lima, but moved to Pacifico when she was 5 years old.  Jhazmin finished high school which is a huge accomplishment here.  

Jhazmin has worked in a label factory and has also cleaned shopping malls, but when approached by KKp she had no job.  She says she is happy now to have job security (a theme among the women) and to have her children so close.  Having her own home is a dream of Jhazmin's.  She also wants to study computer science.
IMG_0534

Jhazmin is another of our ladies who is heavy on my heart.  The relationship with her boyfriend isn't stable and this has been very hard for her lately.  Jhazmin is a very tender and pensive woman.  You can tell that she feels everything deeply.  Jhazmin is an artist and loves to write poems.  Since her boyfriend has been the sole income provider for their family, I am thankful that Jhazmin now has a job and can provide for herself and her kids if needed.  I hope that KKp feels like a safe place and one where Jhazmin can get any help that she needs.

IMG_1088

Carmen

IMG_1117
Carmen is one of our older ladies (37 years old) and she has three kids ranging in age from 19 to 3 years old.  She is a single mom.  Her oldest daughter is currently in nursing school which I know means a lot to Carmen.  Carmen had to drop out of school her final year to take care of her daughter.

When she was 15 years old, Carmen moved from the Huallanca district to Pacifico.  After working on her grandparents' farm and selling food on the streets when she was younger, Carmen moved to Lima to work as a live-in maid.  In recent years she has washed clothes and cleaned houses to make money.  I'm going to share Carmen's words on how her life has changed since working for KKp because I think they stand alone.  "I feel calm because I have a steady job. I enjoy working with the other women every day and it has changed my life because I am learning something else to provide for myself."

IMG_0524

Carmen dreams of having her own business selling knit hats.  She also said that she would like to build a real home and that she wants her neighborhood to "get better."  Carmen has a very caring heart and wants to help create jobs for her neighbors.  Her attitude of wanting to transform a whole community is what we are all about here at KKp.  I share that dream with her and I am thankful for the maturity and wisdom she brings as an older women.

IMG_1087

No comments: