Tuesday, November 1, 2011

happy halloween

We didn't know what to expect from Halloween in Lima.  We had heard that kids trick-or-treat, but only in certain areas.  We didn't know if that included our area, so we opted to play it safe and have a family night at home and watch a Halloween movie and order pizza.  The (what felt like) gazillion kids laying on our buzzer made it clear that there is indeed trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.  I didn't have any candy, so we didn't answer the door which only seemed to make the kids press on the buzzer harder and longer.  Funny fact- kids in Peru actually say "Halloween" when you answer the door instead of "Trick or Treat."

Thankfully our friends Lee and Stephanie had a Halloween party on Saturday night so our kids were able to get dressed up.  Riley got creative and put together a zombie outfit.  Ford surprisingly (not so much) did not want to wear a costume.  When I said he had to in order to go to the party he decided to be a shadow. Tyler was a princess.  She had repeatedly expressed that she wanted to be Yoda.  Since she was Yoda last year and since I had saved this princess dress from when Riley was her age, I really wanted her to be a princess.  Blake may have told me that I was being a pageant mom, but all I will say is that Tyler wore the princess dress and was very happy.  Brady wore his bat costume from a recent school play.  

Long side story- I may have stolen that costume since I decided not to return it to the rental store.  We searched high and low for this required bat costume and couldn't find one anywhere.  One store finally said they would make one for us, but they charged us a ridiculously unfair price and since we had no options and couldn't let Brady be the only kid not in costume, we paid their price.  (Side note to side story- this scenario plays itself out over and over in Peru for us.  We have limited resources and limited knowledge and we literally always pay the price for it.  Very high on the list of frustrating things about living in a foreign country.)  I came back two days later to pick up the costume, waited almost an hour for them to finish making it (even though I came 12 hours after they promised it would be finished), put down my deposit and left.  After thinking through the cost of a cab to return the costume and the amount of time it would take, I decided it was worth losing my deposit.  So, in the end we paid over 20 dollars on and spent five hours acquiring a black piece of fabric stitched together that ripped after its first use.  But I didn't look like a totally worthless parent because I couldn't figure out how to get a costume! (That was yesterday when I didn't send the required food in for the holiday party because it was a Peruvian recipe that I didn't know how to make.)

Today is the real holiday in Peru.  It is Día de Todos los Santos (All Saints' Day).  Since it's a public holiday that means no school and no work.  Since we have to get our first shipment of hats out tomorrow, we spent the day at Krochet Kids.  Between Blake, Riley, our friend Amanda (who graciously gave her time), our trainer Chabela (who graciously agreed to work on a holiday), and myself, we tagged, bagged, and boxed the final 500 hats for the shipment.  Ford and Brady spent most of the day outside playing soccer in the street with friends.  Tyler ran around and somehow kept herself busy for the eight hours that we were there.  Each kid had their moment (and one kid in particular may have had more than one moment), but overall I am so thankful our kids were happy to be at Krochet Kids all day.  Everyone came home filthy and exhausted which I think means it was a good day.

Anyway, here are the kids in their Halloween costumes...

IMG_0962
IMG_0966
IMG_0971

1 comment:

kohl said...

You guys are amazing!