Thursday, September 15, 2011

question mashup

I'm still so thankful for all of the questions that everyone asked.  They keep me writing and, most importantly, thinking and processing.  I'm going to try and answer a bunch of questions in this post.  So here goes...


(With random photos thrown in because I don't have any that relate to this post.)

-How long do you plan to live in Peru?  Do you think you will return to California when you are done?  Do you see yourself starting another Krochet Kids in another country where it is needed when you are finished with your time in Peru?

Our contract with Krochet Kids is for five years.  We have absolutely no clue where we will end up when our five years are over.  Riley will be going into high school at that time, so that will certainly affect our decision to some extent.  We are not at all against our kids going to high school in a foreign country, but we do believe some stability during those years is important.  We know that it will most likely be a very difficult decision and we will approach it first and foremost with prayer.  Lots and lots of prayer.  California is our home and ideally where we would like to return when we move back to the States.  We are also open to moving to another country to help set up a new Krochet Kids program, but we don't know if that will even be needed or if they would want us to do that.  And staying in Peru is definitely a strong option.  I try not to think about the future too much because a lot is going to happen to us and in us in the next five years.  I know we will be different people in many ways and there is just no way to even begin to predict where God will take us next.  The most important thing for us to be right now is completely open and willing to go wherever it is that God leads us next.  

IMG_9433


-What do you miss the most?  What don't you miss?

We obviously miss our families and friends the most.  Being far from my niece is still one of the hardest aspects of living here.  I also miss Target and Southern California weather.  Our kids miss our cul-de-sac, neighbors, and school the most.  I will talk about schooling in Peru in a different post, but it is not ideal and since our school in the States was amazing, our kids know what they are missing out on.  I miss chocolate ice cream.  I miss swimming pools and the sun.  I miss how easy it was to get stuff done and run errands.  I miss nicely paved roads and traffic laws.  I miss the library a lot.  And I really, really miss community and our church.  Oh, and Disneyland.  With the kids' birthdays coming up, I am missing Disneyland more than ever these days.  

I don't miss the ridiculous pressures of the American culture.  From having the latest technology to looking put together all of the time to doing crafts everyday with your kids.  Playdates here are so relaxed.  The kids are just happy to be together and I don't need to do much to entertain them.  I don't miss the cost of childcare, movies or healthcare.  I don't miss my homeowner's association.  I don't miss owning a home.  I don't miss politics and I don't miss the way Christianity looks in the US.  I don't miss how upset people in the US get when things don't go their way (myself included).  I don't miss not being deeply involved in ministry and not being in relationship with people in poverty.

IMG_9762
{Brady's artistic interpretation of Star Wars.  I can't express how much I love this picture.  Also, you're a true Star Wars fan if you can identify everything in this picture.}


-Do you ever feel unsafe?

Overall, Peru is a relatively safe country.  There are not the security issues of a war torn country or an unstable government.  The most common crime in Lima is robbery and theft.  It is not unusual to have your home broken into and most certainly your car.  I have never heard a personal story, though, of anyone being injured in a home invasion.  Kidnapping does occur here.  A child was recently kidnapped leaving his school (forced out of his car) and held for ransom.  The motive in kidnapping is money, not to be violent.  The police are corrupt here, but not to the extent of many other countries.  Obviously, violence, assault, and gangs are a part of life here- this is a city of nine million people in a developing country.  These things tend to occur in certain parts of the city and we are cautious when we go to these districts.  But even in the "nicer" part of Lima, Blake has seen a man getting robbed and attacked.  

So, my answer is that I feel safe most of the time.  Hearing about the kidnapped child has kept me up a few nights.  Unfortunately, since we are not Peruvian that puts more of a target on our backs and we live with that awareness.  The fact that I don't speak Spanish yet has a lot to do with my nervousness.  If I got in a threatening situation with a cop or a taxi driver, it would be made much worse by the fact that I cannot understand much Spanish.  The other issue is that my comparison is the United States.  Of course Peru is much less safe than the US.  It is hard not to feel that.  For the most part, though, we are able to buy our safety through the home we chose and having a security guard.  It makes me a little sick to know that I am able to feel safe because I have money, while millions of others in this city know Lima as a violent and dangerous place to live.

IMG_1556


-What did you parents and/or immediate family think about your decision to move to Peru?

Debbie left this question on her son's behalf.  He is 14 and reads our blog which is really sweet.  So, first of all, hi to Debbie's son!  As I mentioned before, our decision to move to Peru was a shock even to us, so it was most definitely a shock to our families.  It was hard for everyone at first to come to terms with such a life changing decision.  Certainly, because grandchildren are involved, the grief and loss of us leaving the country is even more powerful.  Our families are very supportive of us and believe in what we are doing in Peru.  There is a lot of sadness, but they are also so excited to see the journey that we are on.  They are our biggest cheerleaders even though this all comes at a cost to them.  A lot of this is my parents' fault anyway because they raised me to have a passion to help those living in poverty.  (I say that jokingly- the fault part, not the way they raised me part).  So, I guess be careful how you raise your kids.  Because if you raise them to be serious about following Jesus, they just might be called to do that in another country.  I didn't know this until we decided to move to Peru, but my parents chose their own vows for my baptism.  Here is one of their vows:  

"Have you covenanted with God if Sarah grows to adulthood and is called to some form of special Christian service, you will not stand in her way but rather encourage her?"

That still gives me goosebumps and about says it all.

IMG_9763
{Tyler loving the sun while watching our garage door get fixed.}

No comments: