Thursday, March 17, 2011

thank you

To say that the last two months have been hard on our family would be an understatement. We have daily been put through the wringer and experienced feelings we never knew existed. When we think we can't take anymore, more comes. We are watching our kids struggle in ways we never wanted them to. We are struggling ourselves with both loving and hating Peru. With both loving and hating what it is doing to our family.

This post is not to complain further about our transition, but to thank everyone reading this for the outpouring of support we have received. First of all, thank you for letting me be honest. I know a lot of people that rely on support don't feel they can be truthful about what they are going through. They are afraid their weaknesses will cause people to lose trust in them. I don't feel that way with our friends and supporters. Instead, I feel embraced because of my weaknesses. That is amazing and beautiful and more than I deserve. I am so thankful that you guys don't hold my complaining, selfishness, and questioning against me.

Just as important, if I had never been vulnerable about our struggles here then I never would have known how many people are loving us, praying for us, and supporting us. Thank you for emailing us, leaving posts on our walls, and commenting on this blog to let us know that you are cheering us on. I can feel a change in my spirits when I get an email or comment of support. Living in a foreign country is a lonely place to be. Connecting with you guys in the United States fills pieces of our hearts that can't be filled here. I honestly don't know how we would be doing this without everyone's unconditional love for our family. Actually, I know for a fact that we wouldn't be here without you guys. Family, friends, and complete strangers are walking this journey with us. Thank you for taking time out of your lives to walk alongside us. Thank you for caring deeply about our kids. Thank you for seeing the bigger picture when we can't. Thank you for being patient with us as we navigate our new lives. Thank you for believing in what we are doing.

Yesterday I put up all the Christmas cards we got from family and friends on our refrigerator (thank you to my sister for sending magnets since they don't seem to have them in Lima). That refrigerator is now my favorite part of our house. Blake said it makes our home finally feel like we live in it. It was overwhelming for me to see all the people we love fill up the side of our refrigerator. Of course I cried (Peru has turned me into a crier) and I still get choked up every time I look at it. We have an amazing support system. We are beyond blessed. Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but I will say it again anyway. Thank you!!

Now I'm going to go watch the NCAA tournament and cry.

IMG_8796

{If we don't have a picture of your family please email us one! We would love to add you to our refrigerator.}

7 comments:

karamurano said...

I don't know you personally but I am so inspired by your journey and your openness and vulnerability. Plus your family is gorgeous! You and your family are in my prayers regularly.

Jen said...

I too don't know you personally but I found your blog via Rage Against the Minivan. I am so inspired and in awe of what you and your beautiful family are doing. I don't think you are complaining at all - I think you're being very honest and it's refreshing. I'm sorry it hasn't been an easy adjustment, but God will see you through this. It reminds me of a story I heard in church once...I don't remember all of the details, but basically the story was comparing God molding our lives to an artist who makes pottery. When the artist starts out with a lump of clay, they mash it, beat it, stretch it, and mold it to turn it into something beautiful. Sometimes when God is making something out of us, the mashing, stretching, and molding can be uncomfortable if not down right painful. But in the end God IS making something beautiful. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

T & T Livesay said...

We are so sorry it has been hard (and good too - but we are not sorry about that).

We have your mugs on our fridge too! We will do better praying, I promise Sarah!!!

Much love from the Greater Antilles,
T.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. You inspire me beyond words. How does one find your email address? My address is
debbie@lanecc.edu

Lynette said...

Sarah, Bob and I continue to pray for your family! Thanks for your honesty. I think you give a great window into the world of ministry - it's sometimes hard but there is peace that transcends.

I have to admit. I did scan and yay! we made the fridge. :) I hope someday we're able to meet. I know your family means so much to Bob and because of that you all mean so much to me. God Bless you today.

Erin said...

I have to say that I feel inspired when I read about your journey (even the struggles) in Peru because through all of it, your faith is so apparent. I agree with Jen's post above: God is molding your family so He can do great things through you. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Ryan, Angela, Gabriel, Tobias, Eliana said...

Hello,

A friend passed your blog on to us and I just briefly checked it out. My family and I live here in LIma and we'd love to talk with you more and encourage you and be a general reference if you need one. My number is: 437 0459 or email asmedes@fh.org