Wednesday, March 9, 2011

first day of peruvian school

Yesterday was Riley's first day of 4th grade and Ford's first day of 2nd grade. Just six months ago they had their first days of 3rd and 1st grade, respectively. Six months ago we also decided we were moving to Peru.

IMG_8752

Both kids went to bed the night before without any fears or nervousness. I couldn't believe Ford was so calm. I think the fact that we have been in Peru for almost 2 months played a huge role in that. The kids feel settled and we had lots of time as a family to adjust to a new home before we adjusted to a new school.

IMG_8749

When I went in to wake Riley up she jumped up in bed and screamed, "Is it time to go to school?" She was so excited.

IMG_8755

When we got to the school Ford started to get nervous and began to cry. The reality of walking into a new classroom by himself had hit. I gave him a big hug and told him I knew he could do this.

IMG_8761

IMG_8764
{Riley and Ford walking to their classrooms}

Ford had a fantastic day. When we asked him what his favorite part of the day was, he said, "Everything." He made friends, had 2 recesses, and loves his teacher.

IMG_1246

IMG_1247
{The teacher does have eyes- she just blinked}

Riley had a little bit of a rougher day. She said that she didn't make any friends and sat on a bench during recess by herself without anyone talking to her. If you know Riley, you know that having friends and being social is a huge part of who she is. I know that she is mourning the loss of the great group of girlfriends she had in the States. They had been together for 4 years. These are the moments when you ask, "What are we doing?"

IMG_1249
{Riley's first locker}

We were comforted, though, by Riley's smile when she told us about other parts of her day. I could tell that she enjoyed herself at times and she also loves her teacher. She laughed so hard when she told us that they learned how to say "shadow" and "blowing" in English. I asked her if she thought she was going to like her school and she said, "I already do."

IMG_1250

I don't take it for granted that my kids started a new school in a new country without any major difficulties. I know this year will bring many ups and downs in our kids' lives. We are thankful that right now peace reigns in our kids' hearts.

IMG_8754

5 comments:

Erin said...

I will say some prayers that Riley finds a group of friends quickly, as I sympathize with that longing for acceptance when I'm in a new place.

Anonymous said...

So very glad that for the most part, they liked school. I will pray that Riley finds new friends quickly. Such a tender age and as her Mama, it must have broken your heart when she said she didn't make friends.
She will. I just know it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that overall it wa a good day for your kiddos. I've been reading your blog since your move to Peru, I admire your strength in the midst of uncertainty.
I shared your blog with a group of college girlfriends and Tia Babcock said she'd known you in TN...small world.
Best of luck for another great day of school tomorrow...and to friends!!

shelby said...

Thank you for continuing to share your story! What you and Blake have done is so inspiring and I am really, really looking forward to reading about your KKI adventure.

Praying that your transition in Peru will get easier and easier as the days pass.

God Bless & Best of Luck to you!

Roy Mauricio said...

I'm so glad you guys are having a relatively good time here i'm a young peruvian that had just started studying Turism at UNIVERSIDAD DE SAN MARTIN DE PORRES, i found your blog by searching for 'peruvians living in the U.S.' i have to say say that the decision you have taken is amazing and i'm sure you wont regret it we peruvians are very friendly people specially to foreigners so i'm also sure that riley will star making friends quickly, i wish and pray for you all the best