Tuesday, March 1, 2011

6 weeks

That is how long it took us to make a trip to the ER in Peru. The kids were playing today, lunch was almost ready, and suddenly I heard Tyler screaming. Then I heard Riley, Ford, and Brady screaming. I ran to find Tyler on the floor with blood gushing everywhere. No one saw what happened but we think she slipped and hit her head on the edge of the door. As soon as I got a good look at the gash I knew we were headed to the ER.

Blake was out running errands with our friend Brady (who was visiting from Guatemala). I called him, they ran to get a cab, and came to the house to pick us up. Although it wasn't a horrible injury and I could have handled it alone, I am so thankful that Blake was available to come with us. I'm also so thankful that Brady was here to translate for us at the hospital.

IMG_1198

The hospital was very nice and it didn't feel any different than being in an ER in the States except it was much less crowded. A plastic surgeon gave Tyler her stitches, but I'm not convinced he did a great job. Oh well, we did the best we could with our situation and Tyler will have a scar with a story.

Their method of stitching a child up made for a much less pleasant experience. They swaddled Tyler extremely tight which made her furious. Then they put a towel over her head (with a hole where the stitching needed to be done), so she couldn't see anything. She was basically wearing a straight jacket in a dark place. It freaked her out and made me a little sick to my stomach. I just wanted to hold her hand or for her to be able to see me. It also felt like it took forever, but I know that was just because it was so hard seeing her upset.

IMG_1206

So, now we are 3 for 4 with kid head injuries requiring stitches and now we know where the ER is here. (Hopefully we won't need to visit there again anytime soon).

IMG_1212

(I was instructed to not wash her head/hair for 3 days. I'm not sure I can live with dried blood in my child's hair for that long.)

4 comments:

hotflawedmama said...

My daughter did the same thing (here in the States). Rest easy, they do the exact same straight jacket thing here! It was the worst part of it, I agree!!!

She's so sweet.

Breanne said...

this is the first one i missed... :(

Anonymous said...

Tyler is such a dolly. She looks like she has eye shadow and mascara on in that last picture!
I am glad she is ok, that must have been scary. And it's always good to know where the ER is, just in case.

Traci said...

It is so hard to have your child be in a terrifying situation that is also necessary. It must have been so hard. I'm glad you got to be beside her, I'm sure that helped somehow. Kids are amazing. She looks adorable. *hugs*