Tuesday, November 2, 2010

love train

I had a great weekend in Washington, DC. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't leave my kids enough. So, this weekend was quite the treat. I was responsible for no one, I had lots of stimulating adult conversation, and I had fun. I love my kids, but many times it feels like my brain is turning to mush when I have been with them too much. I feel like a few brain cells were restored this weekend.

IMG_1234


That may have also had something to do with The Rally to Restore Sanity. Kristen recapped the day if you want to check it out. I want to share my favorite part and what I took away from the rally. Jon Stewart brought out Cat Stevens to play Peace Train as the official song of the rally. I cannot tell you how many times in high school I fell asleep to Cat Stevens playing on my Walkman. Hearing him play Peace Train in person was the highlight of the day for me.

IMG_1196


Then Stephen Colbert interrupted Cat to have his own official song performed. Ozzy Osbourne took the stage and performed Crazy Train.

IMG_1199

Ozzy and Cat went back and forth, each playing a little of their songs until the other one interrupted them. The crowd was going wild.

"Now I've been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come..."
"Crazy, but that's how it goes..."
"Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train..."
"I'm going off the rails on a crazy train..."

And then, something truly crazy happened. Jon and Stephen agreed to come together on the Love Train.

IMG_1207


People all over the world
Join hands
Start a love train, love train
People all over the world
Join hands
Start a love train, love train

And isn't that a train that we can all get on?

Love.

I know I sound simplistic, but I really do believe that if we spent more time loving each other our country and our government would be a better place.

We need to take the time to see each other's humanity. Recognize that we are all beautiful and that we all have a story.

Love is compelling our family to move to a foreign country, but you don't have to move to love. It can start with your neighbor right where you live.

Let's start a love train.

IMG_1240

2 comments:

Led About Mama said...

Couldn't agree more!!!

Lindsay Mizell said...

I keep forgetting to comment on this...but I am so jealous that you got to go! I also love the pictures. I also love praying for Peru and you all.