Thursday, October 14, 2010

a sneak peek



I'm in Lima and have been going almost nonstop since arriving yesterday afternoon. I have felt a million different emotions in the past 48 hours. On the planes here I went back and forth between extreme excitement to finally lay eyes on Lima and wanting to go home and crawl into my comfortable bed (it probably didn't help that I was on the redeye). Blake and I debated whether I even needed to come on this trip, especially with the cost, and I can already say that I am glad I did come. I am so thankful that I got to process all of my emotions about coming to Lima for the first time by myself and not with 4 kids looking expectantly at me as they process those same emotions. Now when we bring the kids back here and this is home, I will know Lima. It's only a 4 day trip, but I have already begun to get my bearings and begun to feel comfortable here. I know what the airport experience will be, I know many of the districts, I am even starting to recognize streets and buildings.

One of my fears was that I would get here and freak out. That I would find myself screaming over and over (inside my own brain), "I can't do this!" While I have certainly started to truly see the cost of this move, I still feel peaceful and I know that we can do it. It will not be easy. This is a huge city in a developing country. I will have to learn a whole new lifestyle and way of doing things. I don't know if I will ever be comfortable driving in this city (and if you've ever been in a large city of a developing country you know exactly what I'm talking about). The list of things that they don't have here that I take for granted in the US is long. Milk, hot water in the kitchen, peanut butter, fountain coke, heat in their homes. Disposable diapers and wipes cost twice as much in the States- they are a luxury. For awhile, simple tasks such as going to the grocery store will be an ordeal here.

The cost to our kids is really sinking in while we are here. I know in the grander scheme of things, that what they will learn while living in Peru will make them better people. But, first, they must lose everything they know. Not only will they be the new kids, but they will be one of only a few Americans in their school. Stripping a person of his or her culture is traumatic. This move will be traumatic for our kids. This whole new way of living that I am struggling to accept as an adult, we will ask our kids to deal with as children. I am praying for grace for all of us as we make this transition together.

Our main focus today was visiting schools. I won't bore anyone with the details, but we think that we have found a school that we feel good about. But it is obviously a huge decision to make based on a 30 minute visit. Picking a certain school also ties us down to living in a certain area (the city is so huge and traffic is so bad that you really don't want to commute). We don't know yet if we want to live in the area around this school. Plus you pay a huge entrance fee so you can't just change schools if it doesn't work out. It's just a lot to take in and decide on. A lot.

So, we are overwhelmed and confused, but less than we were before we came. We have met some amazing people already living here which is a huge encouragement to us. Actually, that has been the biggest comfort for me so far. There is also a Chili's and TGI Friday's. I can do this.

4 comments:

Jenn Hali said...

I have been DYING to hear from you. So thankful to hear that you feel like you've found their school. So anxious for all the details. P.S. It's totally been hitting me for the past two days that you guys are really leaving and it is so bittersweet for me. So excited but I'm grieving too :(

Breanne said...

i love you both. alot. i'm praying for you in the next couple days and can't wait to hear from you when you get back.

peanutandpoppy said...

you guys are amazing. what an exciting experience -- and such a powerful thing you are doing for your children, and our world. love you!

Stephanie said...

Hey Sarah,
I just read your comment on my blog so I checked yours out and I am smiling ear to ear. Reading your perspective on Lima in RIGHT on target. Everything you talked about were fears of mine and I can totally understand where your coming from. My husband called your hubby a few times but I'm sorry we never got to meet while yall were here. My email address is stephanie.a.fletcher@gmail.com I would love to help you in ANY way I can. I'm still "new" here but when you get here I would love to help you go to the store, drive or anything else you might need. Our kids have adjusted well and God has been so faithful. Would love to hear where you guys are thinking about living, school and why yall are moving. Blessings on your journey,
Stephanie Fletcher