Thursday, July 8, 2010

summer reading

One of my favorite things about summer is that I seem to read more. Since I don't have to get up early and get the kids to school, I feel more free to stay up late reading. Plus now that we got rid of cable, I rarely watch TV. So, I thought that I would share what I am reading this summer and my rating of each book (out of 5 stars).

Fiction ::

Little Bee (Chris Cleave) :: 4.5 stars :: This book is close to perfect and definitely worth reading. I would definitely recommend it most out of all the books on my fiction list.

Brooklyn (Colm Toibin) :: 3 stars :: Fun and easy read.

Say You're One of Them (Uwem Akpan) :: 4 stars :: Collection of 5 short stories. Hard to read, but I felt as though I was there in Africa living these stories and getting a glimpse into African life.

Sag Harbor (Colson Whitehead) :: 4 stars :: I enjoyed this book as a coming of age story- especially since was set in the 80s. Definitely slow, but still enjoyable.

Non Fiction ::

Half The Sky (Nicholas D. Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn) :: 5 stars :: Please read this book. Through firsthand accounts from women and girls who have suffered oppression, you will walk away heartbroken, inspired, and changed. I know that it is so hard for most of us to read about the brutal treatment of women, but we cannot turn a blind eye anymore. Especially if you are a woman, we owe it to other women to educate ourselves on this subject and fight for reform. As the book says, "It has probably become more dangerous to be a women than a soldier in armed conflict."

The Irresistible Revolution (Shane Claiborne) :: 4 stars :: Easy read, but not light. I love Shane Claiborne's heart and the way he lives his life.

Interrupted
(Jen Hatmaker) :: 4 stars :: Easy, but powerful and inspiring read. I greatly appreciated hearing a female voice discussing her journey with the church.

Christians at the Border (M. Daniel Carroll R.) :: 3 stars :: Had to work hard at getting through this book- it is more of a textbook. But the information is so valuable and is presented in a balanced, thoroughly informed, and Biblical way. If you want to engage in the immigration debate, I highly recommend this book.

When Helping Hurts (Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert) :: 5 stars :: Regarded as one of the best books out there right now about how to truly help (and not hurt) the poor. Before you give away any more money and volunteer for any organization, I would definitely recommend you read this book and educate yourself on the best helping practices so as not to frustrate all involved.

Up Next ::

Cutting For Stone
(Abraham Verghese)
Forgotten God (Francis Chan)
Radical (David Platt)
What is the What (David Eggers)
Next book club book- any suggestions?

1 comment:

Lindsay Mizell said...

I LOVED Little Bee!! I am looking forward to reading a few others on your list. Have you read Peace Like a River? Huck was passing it around as scripture a few years ago. ha. It is amazing if you haven't!