Tuesday, February 17, 2009

more answered prayers



I was looking back on my blog entries when Tyler was in the NICU. Even though Tyler is home and healthy now they are still very hard to read. It brings back all of the emotions from that time and it is really hard to relive. We really didn't know if Tyler ever would be home and healthy. I don't think that I ever blogged about this, but they checked her heart 3(!) times. Even though her heart looked healthy each time, the doctors just kept going back to thinking that something was wrong with her heart. Obviously, it was really scary.

One thing that really struck me when reading those entries was how God answered our prayers. Three days before Tyler came home from the NICU I wrote that we were preparing to be in the NICU for the long haul. Two days before Tyler came home here is the list of prayer requests that I posted:

(1) That Tyler would respond well to the new blood and that she wouldn't break it down. That it would serve as a healing device.
(2) That Tyler's bilirubin would stay down so that they could start turning off lights (I would love for her to be off phototherapy so she's not in the dark the majority of the day).
(3) That Tyler would nurse well after a week's break and that it would be a sweet time not a frustrating time.
(4) For Blake and I- we are so tired. Between pumping last night and the 4 am phone call I got 3 hours of sleep. We are going to the hospital twice a day for as long as needed. Blake returned to work today. We are weary.
(5) That we would have an answer as to what is causing all of this and there is a clear treatment plan.
(6) For our other 3 kids. Ford & Brady's birthdays are the 5th and 11th. We have plans to celebrate their birthdays at Disneyland on Saturday. Please pray that they both feel loved, cherished, and special on their birthdays admist this chaos! Please pray that I am able to do Disneyland for a full day- anything without Tyler right now is hard for me to bare.

And here is how God answered each prayer:
(1) Tyler did not breakdown her new blood and it was a huge part of her healing (obviously as she went home 2 days after the transfusion).
(2) Less than 24 hours after I posted this Tyler was COMPLETELY off of phototherapy. I stayed at the hospital and held her all day.
(3) Since Tyler has been home (over 2 months now) she has had only 2 bottles!! My pediatrician was in shock. It is very unusual for a newborn to go a week without nursing and then go back to nursing full time. After Tyler's complete healing this was my biggest request of God. The week Tyler was in the hospital I was so grieved at the thought of not having that bonding time with her- especially since she is my last baby. Also, after seeing her lay so sick in a hospital bed all I wanted to do was provide her with the best food out there! I really don't think that I can express how thankful I am to be able to nurse Tyler.
(4) We are still tired! :) Actually, I can't complain because God absolutely provided us with the strength to make it through that week and Tyler has been sleeping through the night for awhile now.
(5) We never have gotten an answer as to why Tyler's blood was hemolizing, but we do know (after numerous blood tests) that Tyler looks completely healthy. She was healed. And I don't say that lightly.
(6) Tyler was home for both of her brothers' birthdays and spent the day with us as Disneyland! God gave us even more than we asked for. Here we are at Disneyland together as a family...
How beautiful to see exactly how God answered each and every prayer. I know that we would still be praising Him even if all of our prayers had not been answered the way we wanted. But I am so thankful every day that God choose to heal Tyler and that we are together as a family of 6! He wants to bless us and it is so powerful when His believers come together in prayer.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 3:20-21

1 comment:

Tay's Mom said...

your journey with tyler's birth, struggle and healing was such an amazing, life-altering time for both of us. i prayed like i have never prayed and i watched as He healed. it was so good for me to witness Him working through you and your family. your story helped strengthen my faith, and showed me the power of His love. thank you for sharing your journey -- i am a stronger believer because of it!