Wednesday, January 28, 2009

reality

I'm not ok with this. I'm not ok that my 7 year old is running around outside, healthy, with a full stomach, clothed while this is 7 year old Sam's reality. Our family is not doing enough. Something has to change. I'm not ok with this.




Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
Proverbs 31: 8-9

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 22:16

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?
James 215-16

If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3:17-18

4 comments:

Erica Parsons said...

I want to thank you, Sarah, for sharing this, and for leaving me speechless and crying. It's so painful to watch, but turning away feels wrong. What saddens me most are all the children who are never filmed, who won't go to better homes with nutritious food. Something must be done for them. Thank you for a dose of reality. I needed it.

Tay's Mom said...

wow. i have to admit that i have purposely never watched anything like this. i have always turned the channel or left the room because i knew that it would hurt for me to see. and that is so wrong of me. because i ignore it does not mean it doesn't exist. it's about time i sat down and accepted this as reality and, in turn, tried to do something to help. as i feared, it absolutely breaks my heart. i will be praying for these children and would love any suggestions you have for reliable foundations that we can contribute to, or any ways that we can help. thanks, sarah. you are a wonderful, caring person and i'm so grateful that you have been able to get through my wall of self-protection. you just continue to help me grow both personally and spiritually!

Breanne said...

i just read your blog. read the one i posted today - coincidence? i think not. you are my best.

Nicole said...

You don't know me - I found your blog through a friend of mine's blog "Colton's Journey" blogspot. I feel that you and I could sit and talk for hours on end!! I have 4 children as well. I am going on my first mission trip in February to Nakuru, Kenya. My husband and I plan to take our kids one day as well. Your blog has inspired and validated me. I feel so lost in this world sometimes, so frustrated with living the good life in America (as you said, we have food in our refrigerator, that makes us among the wealthiest in the world - we certainly are not wealthy by American standards!) while being so aware of the intense pain and suffering and need in the world. I sobbed while watching this, but I watched... and I will go and do what God asks me to do. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your life...
Nicole Conner in Waynesville, NC