Friday, November 14, 2008

We are pleased to announce the arrival of

Tyler Elizabeth Goodfellow
November 13, 2008
3:30pm
8 pounds, 7 ounces
21 inches

(more photos below the post)

Tyler came into this world in what has become “True Tyler Fashion”- drama filled! We started the induction at around 11:30am. Things were progressing normally- I got my epidural and was about 5 centimeters around 2pm. Shortly after my epidural Tyler’s heart rate flattened out at about 148. Although we thought it was good that she had a healthy heart rate we soon found out that is it a very bad sign for a baby’s heartbeat to stay at the same rate. There was NO variation in her heart rate no matter what the doctors did to stimulate her. It was soon decided that I would undergo an emergency c-section to get her out- it was just too dangerous to leave her in any longer.

Obviously, this was very traumatic for both Blake and I. As I was being rushed to the OR all I could think about was that we were losing Tyler. Before they started the c-section my doctor checked me one more time to see if I had dilated enough to deliver vaginally and to my surprise- I had! The OR became even more chaotic as everyone switched to accommodate a vaginal delivery. Everyone knew she had to come out now and there was lots of people running around and shouting orders at each other. The doctor used the vacuum and Tyler was out in 2 pushes with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck. After a few short seconds, Tyler was screaming and looking completely healthy! I, of course, lost it at that point and lay there sobbing. The neonatologist checked her out and she looked so good she didn’t even need to go to the NICU.

After everything had calmed down my nurse, who has been a nurse for 30 years, said it was one of the most dangerous situations she had ever seen. It certainly was the scariest moment I have experienced as a mother. We know that God was present throughout it all and also that we may never know the depths of what He saved Tyler from yesterday. We have Tyler in our arms and praise on our lips today.

Here are some of my favorite pictures. I would say it was love at first sight, but she was loved long before….













7 comments:

Tay's Mom said...

So so so beautiful! LOVE the picture of you looking down at Tyler. What an amazing family, and an amazing birth story. Just goes to show that God is truly great! Congrats!

The Elliott's Adventures said...

congrats! tyler is precious! love all of the pictures

Purifoy Family said...

So glad she is here and she is healthy! She definitely looks like a Goodfellow! And I know Riley is so glad to finally have a sister. Can't wait to see more pics in weeks to come.

Anonymous said...

She is BEAUTIFUL!!! What a precious and Holy day!

Love you,
Kristin V.

Kristin said...

Tyler is lovely...just look at that adorable face! Congratulations on your beautiful and HEALTHY (Yea, God!):) baby girl.
Take care and thanks for sharing...

Hannah Elisabeth said...

I don't even really know how I came across your blog, but congrats on your sweet girl! Your family is so precious! --Hannah from GA--

rachel said...

You truly have a beautiful family! I love reading your blog!!! Hope all is going well with your new arrival!