Sunday, September 7, 2008

Love the neighbor? The kid

So my kids play outside almost everyday in our cul-de-sac.  Praise the Lord, because they love it and it keeps Sarah and I sane.  Most of the kids in our neighborhood are friendly, polite, and pass my approval test for my kids to hang out with.

But there is one kid I just can't figure out what to do with.  He is a 9 year old boy that my two boys look up to and my daughter is influenced by - they think he can do no wrong.  Well, in my opinion, I think most of what he does is wrong.  He uses words like hate, suck, and stupid.  He is bossy, mean to his sister, and defiant towards his parents.

So, I am not sure what to do.  What do I tell my kids about him?  About what he says?  About the way he treats his family?  About the way he treats them?  Do I tell them not to listen to him?  Do I say that he isn't the kind of person we want to play with?  What's the alternative?

I mean how do you tell a kid that God wants us to love our neighbor and accept them just as they are?  (note: i'm sure my kids actually are loving him just like he is and it is me that is having the problem showing my unconditional love).  But what about the influence he has on them.  He says things like, "I hate church," and  "I like bikinis."  

I feel like this is an issue for us that we will need to deal with.  Not sure how...

Love


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What about talking to them like you did in this email? Bring them into the gray? --Thrash