Thursday, September 4, 2008

the least of these...

It’s not my intention or desire to get into politics on our blog. I really don’t see myself as a political person- I see myself as a passionate person! So, I’m going to blog about something that I’m passionate about- people! Specifically, ALL people. You see, I try really hard to view everyone as God views them- beautiful, precious, worthy, loved. Overall, this is really easy for me because, again, I am passionate about people. The main reason that I don’t get overly involved in politics is that I believe the greatest way to encourage change is to get out there myself and walk alongside the poor, marginalized, and vulnerable. While I do know which candidate I would like to see in the White House I do not pin all of my hopes on any one person or political party changing the world. That person has already come and He did change the world. Our job is now to be His hands and His feet and follow His Great Commission. So, instead of focusing on how other people can fix our country’s problems, I have chosen to do what little I can to help out.


Where is all of this going? Well, there are a few areas I believe that our government has a responsibility to step in and make things right. And this is where my passion for people comes in. Right now, one of the ways this passion for people translates into something concrete is my desire for universal health care. Just like I believe that every child has the right to a quality education, I also believe that every person has the right to quality health care. This is not something that the church or I can provide, so I look to our government to meet this need.



I don’t believe that quality health care is something that has to be earned by having the “right” job or having a job at all. I’m so thankful that God doesn’t make me earn His care or love. And since Grace has been extended to me and it is only through Grace that I am saved, I extend that same grace to others around me. How could I accept God’s Grace and yet turn around and require others to earn my grace.
My desire for universal health care is deeply rooted in my belief that we are all God’s children and that He loves us more then we could ever possibly understand and desires the best for us. I believe as followers of God, it is our responsibility to provide the best for ALL people.


I believe that the Bible is very clear on this subject:


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
Matthew 25: 35-45

I just saw the documentary Sicko and would encourage everyone to check it out (freedocumentaries.org). While Michael Moore may turn a lot of you off, I believe that this movie brings up a lot of interesting points and is educational. The hardest part to watch is a surveillance video of an elderly woman who was kicked out of a hospital because she didn’t have health insurance. The video shows the taxi dropping her off in her hospital gown on the streets of inner city LA. She walks around completely disoriented. It was heartbreaking to watch. I can’t even imagine how heartbreaking it was for God to watch- His daughter that He created and knows so intimately. I imagine He was weeping.

No comments: