Sunday, September 21, 2008

happy birthday riley!


Today is Riley's 7th birthday, so I thought that I would share 7 things that I love about Riley.

(1) She's a tomboy. Seriously, this girl's Barbies and baby dolls are sitting in her closet gathering dust. The High School Musical movie that Santa brought her? She's watched it once. She refuses to watch Hannah Montana period. She would rather be playing outside then anything else. She gets it done on the soccer field.
(2) She's the best big sister out there. Riley loves her brothers deeply. She's way more patient with them then I am. I never really had to teach her how to share- it just came naturally to her. She still tries to hold Brady.
(3) Her freckles.
(4) Her heart for adoption. This girl prays every day for children to be adopted. Every time someone comments about my pregnancy she starts talking their ears off about our adoption. Even at her young age, she grasps the importance of every child having a mom and dad and she's excited about being a part of that for one child.
(5) She loves her daddy. Nothing crushes Riley more than disappointing her daddy (and she rarely does) and nothing is more important to her then spending time with him too. On a side note: I'm so thankful that Blake is setting the standard so high for how a man is supposed to treat her. I really don't have to worry about the quality of guys Riley will bring home because of her relationship with Blake.
(6) Her determination. Everyday Riley spends her recess time playing 4 corners with 3rd graders. The first time she played with them, they whooped her and she was pretty upset. So, she's decided to "show them" and keep playing with them until she can beat them. When I asked her what the other 1st graders are doing during recess, she said, "I don't know because I'm playing 4 corners." All right then.
(7) Her faith in God. Both Blake and I were privileged to be there over a year ago when Riley asked Jesus into her heart. I truly see evidence of this everyday in Riley's life. She is a huge example to me of complete faith and trust in the Lord. She truly believes in His goodness. She is a prayer warrior.
Matthew 18:3
And Jesus said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Thank you, Riley, for showing me how to change and have faith like a child.

4 comments:

The Vanzant's said...

PRECIOUS girl!!!
Happy Birthday Riley!!!

We love you!!!

gretchenowens said...

happy birthday, riley...i remember when your mommy was pregnant at our wedding...so, i'll always remember how old you are!

sarah & blake- congrats on the parenting...sounds like she stands out from the crowd, that's great!

The Leonards said...

I love this post, Sarah! Can't believe your little girl is 7! She is absolutely precious...so wish we could see you all more...thankful I can at least see glimpses of your world through the computer!

Purifoy Family said...

She is absolutely precious! miss you guys!